Under 21 Football and County League Hurling

Posted by Pat Phelan On March - 26 - 2013

Under 21B Football Mid Final 23/03/2013


Half Time: Upperchurch 3-2 Gortnahoe 0-03


Full Time: Upperchurch 5-5 to 1-4




Gavin Ryan, Ronan Gleeson, Tommy Stevens, Toby Clancy, Ger Grant, John Ryan (Jerry), PJ Burke, Seamus Armstrong(Captain), Ailbie O Donoghue, Dylan Sheridan, Paul Shanahan, Robert Murphy, James Murray, Joe Lowry, Ciaran Shortt. David Burke for Joe Lowry(ht), Aaron Lewis for Ciaran Shortt(49), Cathal Purcell for Robert Murphy(54).


Upperchurch’s ability to score goals proved invaluable in the mid under 21B football final as they emerged victorious over Gortnahoe on Saturday evening. Dylan Sheridan set the trend in the 4th minute by finishing well into the roof of the Gortnahoe net and Joe Lowry was unlucky to have his effort disallowed a few minutes later. Paul Shanahan finished to the net in the 11th minute having started the move by fielding possession in his own half and eventually linking up with Dylan Sheridan. Ciaran Shortt completed the first half goal rush a minute later as his effort deceived the Gortnahoe keeper. A point from play by Sheridan and a pointed free by Paul Shanahan after James Murray was fouled gave Upperchurch a 3-2 to 0-03 point lead at the break. David Burke came on as a second half substitute for Upperchurch with PJ Burke moving to corner forward.  Gortnahoe kicked three good points in the first half and a well manufactured goal from a free at the beginning of the second half kept them within touching distance. Questions were being asked of Upperchurch now and Ailbie O Donoghue responded with a long range point in 41st minute. Midfield partner Seamus Armstrong supplied the ammunition for Ciaran Shortt a few minutes later as his fisted effort was finished well to the net. Armstrong put in a solid shift in midfield and chipped in with a point in the 52nd minute. Substitute Aaron Lewis was unlucky to see his effort come back off the post a few minutes after coming on as Dylan Sheridan and Paul Shanahan completed the scoring with Shanahan cooly slotting home a goal two minutes from time.








County Senior Hurling League quarter final 24/03/2013




Half time: Upperchurch Drombane 2-12 Loughmore Castleiney 1-5


Full time: Upperchurch 4-16 Loughmore 1-13



Team: Ciaran Shortt, Seán Harty, Jack Ryan, Matt Ryan, James Greene, James Barry, John Ryan(Jerry), Andy Kinane, LJ Ryan, Paul Ryan(Jack), Colm Ryan, Paudie Greene, Colm Stapleton, Matthew Greene, Owen Shortt. Seamus Armstrong for Owen Shortt (50), Joe Maguire for LJ Ryan (50), Michael Ryan (Dick) for Paul Ryan (58).



Paudie Greene (0-06), Colm Ryan (1-1), Paul Ryan (1-1), Seamus Armstrong (1-1), Andy Kinane (0-03), LJ Ryan (1-0), Colm Stapleton (0-02), Owen Shortt (0-01), James Barry (0-01)




Upperchurch played Loughmore in Drombane last Sunday in the quarter final of the league and came out on top on a scoreline of 4-16 to 1-13. Upperchurch playing with the wind in the first half went in at the break with a 2-12 to 1-5 advantage and looked lively in the early exchanges. Owen Shortt gathered possesssion from the throw in to give the home side an early lead. Paudie Greene extended the lead with a pointed free a minute later after Colm Stapleton was fouled. Stapleton followed up with points in the sixth and sixteenth minute after he intercepted a short puck out from Loughmore. James Barry spilt the posts in the 7th minute with a booming effort from his own half back line. Industrious midfielder Andy Kinane was getting through a lot of work and helped himself to three points in the first half. Fellow midfielder LJ Ryan got in on the act also after his long range effort went all the way to the net. Matthew Greene was holding the ball up well at full forward resulting in scores and free’s coming off him.Loughmore’s John Mcgrath finished to the net in the 18th minute after he managed to wriggle his way in from the right wing. Paul Ryan was very unlucky to see his effort from a 21 yard free come off the crossbar in the 24th minute after Matthew Greene was fouled. Upperchurch were not to be denied a minute later however as Colm Ryan got on the end of a Colm Stapleton pass to finish to the net. Lively wing forward Paudie Greene scored on the run from the right wing in the 26th minute after winning possession the puck out. Upperchurch backs were dealing well with the Loughmore attack and kept a steady supply of ball into the forward line. Loughmore enjoyed a good period of dominance in the second half with wind advantage. Tom King scored a great long range effort from play as they brought back the margin to 5 points before Seamus Armstrong’s goal. Substitute Seamus Armstrong scored a point from play in the 56th minute after good work by Paudie Greene. Armstrong follows up in the 57th minute by crashing the ball to the net after running on to a breaking ball. Paul Ryan gave the Loughmore keeper no chance following good juggling skills by Colm Ryan on the forty in the 58th minute. Paul and Colm Ryan both contributed points from play in the second half for the home side. Loughmore were well in contention until two late goals by Upperchurch.Long range frees from Aidan Mcgrath were an impressive feature of their game as John McGrath looking menacing on the right wing at all times.


Leave a Reply